- President: Kathleen Kern
- Director-at-Large: Celia Ross
- Director-at-Large: Cynthia Levine
- Division Councilor: Jennifer Boettcher
- Proposed Bylaws Changes: Adopted
Business Reference and Services Section (BRASS)
- Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect: Andy Spackman
- Secretary: Julia A. Martin
- Member-at-Large: Rebecca “Becky” Smith
Collection Development and Evaluation Section (CODES)
- Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect: Asia Gross
- Member-at-Large: Carolyn M. Mulac
- Member-at-Large: Barbara M. Bibel
History Section (HS)
- Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect: Michelle Baildon
- Member-at-Large: Christina M. Thompson
MARS: Emerging Technologies in Reference Section (MARS)
- Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect: Marilyn N. Ochoa
- Member-at-Large: Courtney Greene
- Secretary: Kelley Ann Lawton
Reference Services Section (RSS)
- Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect: Ann K. G. Brown
- Member-at-Large: Jamie Kaye Hollier
- Secretary: Jason Matthew Coleman
Sharing and Transforming Access to Resources Section (STARS)
- Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect: Nora Dethloff
- Member-at-Large: David K. Larsen
- Secretary: Robin Barnard Moskal
RUSA Awards: 2012 Winners and Reception at Annual Conference
This year’s RUSA Awards Reception will be held from 5:00-6:30 PM. Sunday, June 24, in Sequoia South Ballroom D at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel, 1600 S. Disneyland Drive, Anaheim, California. All RUSA members are invited to this annual party that celebrates the career achievements of many reference and user services colleagues, and also honors those who are receiving travel and research grants from the association.
Add this event to your calendar in the Annual Conference Scheduler by logging into ALA Connect, then going to the event page.
This year’s winners are:
- Natalie D. Beam, STARS/Atlas Systems Mentoring Award
Awarded to one library practitioner who is new to the field of interlibrary loan/document delivery or electronic reserves this is a need-based cash award of $1,000 for travel expenses to attend the ALA annual conference.
Committee: Collette G. Mak (Chair), Naomi I. Chow, Charles William Gee, Mary Hollerich, Karen L. Janke, Micquel Little, Amy Rebecca Paulus
- Ilana Barnes, BRASS Gale Cengage Learning Student Travel Award
Awards $1,000 monetary prize awarded to fund travel to and attendance at the Annual Conference to a student enrolled in an ALA accredited master’s degree program. The award also includes a one-year membership in the Business Reference and Services Section (BRASS) of RUSA.
Committee: Carol L. Anderson (Chair), Matthew Brower, Todd M. Hines, Mrs. Cynthia H. Slater
- Anne MacDonald, Morningstar Public Librarian Support Award
Awards $1,000 in travel funds for ALA’s Annual Conference to a public librarian who has performed outstanding business reference service and who requires financial assistance to attend the conference.
Committee: Melissa Jeter (Chair), Naomi E. Hafter, Kay K. Ikuta, Mary K. Van Ullen
- Joel Glogowski, BRASS Business Expert Press Award
This is a $1,250 award that recognizes a librarian new to the field of academic business librarianship in order to support attendance to the ALA Annual Conference. Sponsored by Business Expert Press.
Committee: Celia Ross (Chair), Peter McKay, Paul Brothers
- Kerry Wu & Heidi E.K. Senior; Louise Mort Feldmann, BRASS Emerald Research Grant Awards
Two grants of $5,000 each awarded to support to conduct research in business librarianship.
Committee: Greg Fleming (Chair), Kimberly Bloedel, Christy Goodnight
- Carolyn S. Larson, MARS My Favorite Martian Award
Awarded annually in recognition of excellence in service to MARS: Emerging Technologies in Reference Section.
Committee: Shannon D. Jones (Chair), Stephanie J. Graves, Linda S. Keiter, Arlie Sims
- Lisa R. Horowitz, RSS Service Achievement Award
Awarded annually to a Reference Services Section (RSS) member in recognition of exceptional contributions to the section.
Committee: Lori S. Thornton (Chair), Virginia Ann Cole, Emilie R. Smart, Susan A. Ware.
- Reference Service Press Award: Nancy D. Zionts, Jan Apter, Julianna Kuchta and Pamela K. Greenhouse “Promoting Consumer Health Literacy: Creation of a Health Information Librarian Fellowship” (RUSQ 49:4 Summer 2009); Marie L. Radford, Lynn Silipigni Connaway, Patrick A. Confer, Susanna Sabolcsi-Boros, and Hannah Kwon for “Are We Getting Warmer?: Query Clarification in Live Chat Virtual Reference" (RUSQ 50:3 Spring 2010).
Recognizes the most outstanding article published in RUSQ during the preceding two-volume year.
Committee: Robert H. Kieft (Chair), Mark J. Siciliano, Dr. Sara M. Rofofsky Marcus, Rebecca A. Smith
- Green’s Dictionary of Slang (Chambers), Dartmouth Medal
This medal honors the creation of a reference work or resource of outstanding quality and significance.
Honorable Mention: International Encyclopedia of Political Science (Sage Reference in association with the International Political Science Association)
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Statistical Abstract of the United States (United States Department of Commerce)
Committee: Jack O’Gorman (Chair), Mary Ellen Alexander, Drew F. Alfgren, Christina S. McGowan, Teresa Portilla Omidsalar, Jason A. Reuscher, David A. Tyckoson, Patrick J. Wall, Sarah Barbara Watstein
- Adina Hoffman and Peter Cole, Sacred Trash: the Lost and Found World of the Cairo Geniza (Schocken Books), Sophie Brody Medal
Awarded to encourage, recognize and commend outstanding achievement in Jewish literature.
Honorable Mentions: Simon Sebag Montefiore, Jerusalem: the Biography (Knopf); Art Spiegelman, MetaMaus, (Pantheon Books); Erika Dreifus, Quiet Americans: Stories, (Last Light Studio Books).
Committee: Barbara M. Bibel (Chair), Donald Altschiller, Emily A. Bergman, Kathleen Gallagher, Prof. Elliot H. Gertel, Danise G. Hoover, Lisa N. Johnston, Judy Korn, Deborah L. Luchenbill, Adela Peskorz.
- Vanessa Irvin Morris, Zora Neale Hurston Award
Awarded to an ALA member who has demonstrated leadership in promoting African American literature. Sponsored by HarperCollins.
Committee: Cynthia Crosser (Chair), Amy Harmon, Lucy M. Lockley
- Sarah L. Johnson, Louis Shores Award
A citation that recognizes excellence in book and other media reviewing for libraries.
Committee: Barry Trott (Chair), Elizabeth I. Bauer, Christine E. King
- San Francisco State University’s Labor Archives and Research Center, John Sessions Award
In recognition of a library or library system which has made a significant effort to work with the labor community and, by doing so, has brought recognition to the history and contribution of the labor movement to the development of the United States. Supported by the Department for Professional Employees, AFL-CIO.
Committee: Jannie R. Cobb (Chair), Paul Brothers, Susan Hurst
- Jay L. Verkler, Genealogical Publishing Company/History Section Award
Citation and $1,500 cash awarded to a librarian or library in recognition of their professional achievement in historical or genealogical reference, service or research.
Committee: William D. Buckner (Chair), Brooke A. Becker, William D. Buckner, Jennifer Daugherty, Helen E. Gbala, Thomas Jay Kemp, Mary K. Mannix
- Rita W. Moss, Gale Cengage Learning Award for Excellence in Business Librarianship
Citation and $3,000 cash awarded to an individual who has made a significant contribution to business librarianship.
Committee: Patricia E. Kenly (Chair), Bobray J. Bordelon, Jr., Irwin D. Faye, Karen J. Chapman
- Richland County (South Carolina) Public Library Job Center, Gale Cengage Learning Award for Excellence in Reference and Adult Services
Citation and $3,000 monetary award presented to a library or library system for developing an imaginative and unique resource to meet patrons’ reference needs.
Committee: Michael Levine-Clark (Chair), Larayne J. Dallas, Michael Levine-Clark, Carol Lynn Schuetz, Kathy Tomajko
- Cyril Oberlander, Virginia Boucher Distinguished ILL Librarian Award
Citation and $2000 award recognizing a librarian for outstanding professional achievement, leadership, and contributions to interlibrary loan and document delivery. Sponsored by OCLC.
Committee: Martha Cheatham Yancey (Chair), Barbara B. Coopey, Megan Gaffney, Joanne M. McIntyre, Robin Moskal, Edwin F. Rivenburgh, Cherie’ L. Weible
- Neal Wyatt, Margaret E. Monroe Award
Citation presented to a librarian who has made significant contributions to library adult services.
Committee: Shelley Quezada (Chair), Allan Martin Kleiman, Kaite Mediatore Stover
- Robert Kieft, Isadore Gilbert Mudge Award
$5,000 and a citation awarded to an individual who has made a distinguished contribution to reference librarianship. Sponsored by Gale Cengage Learning.
Committee: Julia M. Gelfand (Chair), Bobray J. Bordelon, Jr., Joanne M. McIntyre, Charles B. Thurston, Eve M. Wider, Diane M. Zabel.