Carol Schuetz, Editor
Hello BRASS members!
BRASS celebrates 25 years as a section at ALA annual in Chicago 2013. All committees have been hard at work to bring you a full program schedule beginning on Friday morning June 28 and continuing through Monday night’s 25th BRASS Anniversary reception and dinner July 1 and the Tuesday morning’s Executive Board meeting. Twitter will be right there with you this year, follow along at BRASS’ very own hashtag #bizref. All members are invited to committee meetings of BRASS where many initiatives that improve business librarianship are happening; read more in these notes about those activities. Not a volunteer yet? There are many ways to participate in BRASS virtually and in person. BRASS welcomes you, contact incoming 2013-2014 Chair Andy Spackman.
Congratulations to our BRASS award winners. Plan to attend the RUSA Awards Ceremony to honor the accomplishments of our colleagues.
- BRASS Gale Cengage Learning Award for Excellence In Business Librarianship: Michael R. Oppenheim
- BRASS Gale Cengage Learning Student Travel Award: Kelly LaVoice
- BRASS Business Expert Press Award: Annette Buckley
- Emerald Research Award: Jennifer Boettcher
- Morningstar Public Librarian Support Award: Salvatore DiVincenzo
Congratulations also to our newly elected BRASS officers: Todd Hines, incoming Chair-elect and Elizabeth Malafi, incoming Member at Large.
The Publications and Communications Committee will be posting a detailed conference schedule including all committee meetings but in the meantime, here are the BRASS conference highlights in brief. Be sure to also watch BRASS-L, the BRASS Facebook andBRASS website, #bizref on Twitter and the RUSA Blog for information about section activities. Room locations are found on the ALA 13 scheduler.
Programs (watch for more updates on BRASS-L)
- Friday June 28: 8:30 AM-4:00 PM Preconference: Business Reference 101. Advance registration required through ALA. (Education Committee). Registration details available here. Register by June 21–tickets will not be available at the door.
- Friday June 28: 1:00 PM-4:00 PM BRASS/ RUSA EMERALD AACSB Workshop for Academic Business Librarians. Free registration required; see BRASS-L for announcement.
- Saturday June 29: 1:30-3:30 P.M. Public Library Forum: Business Librarian’s Reference Shelf
- Sunday June 30: 8:30-10:00 A.M. BRASS Membership meeting and Discussion Group: Working with Tech Transfer and Market Research for Online Businesses. (Business Reference Services Discussion Group)
- Sunday June 30: 1:00-2:30 P.M. Publishers Forum: Finding Business Information in a Googlized World: The Future of Business Research and Discovery Layers (Business Reference Sources Committee)
- Sunday June 30: 5:00-6:30 P.M. RUSA Awards Reception incl. BRASS Awards
- Monday July 1: 8:30-10:00 A.M. BRASS Program Investment Success! Building & Managing Your Retirement Portfolio (Program Planning Committee 2013)
- Monday July 1: Afternoon. Tour of the Joe and Rika Mansueto Library at the University of Chicago. Look for registration details on BRASS-L.
- Monday July 1: 6:00-10:00 P.M. BRASS 25th Anniversary Dinner at Fulton’s on the River. Advanced RSVP by May 23 for BRASS members only RUSABRASS25@gmail.com
BRASS Chair 2012-2013