What’s happening at Annual?

CODES

Vicki Bloom, Editor

Authors Not Eggs
Sunday, June 24 8:00-10:00 AM Anaheim Convention Center Room 204B
This year the Literary Taste/Notable Book Breakfast becomes a program! There are no tickets to buy and no eggs to eat but there is plenty of literary wonderfulness. Come listen to three outstanding authors from this year’s Notable Book list and Reading List: Erin Morgenstern, author of The Night Circus, Candice Millard, author of Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine, and the Murder of a President, and Mark Adams, author of Turn Right at Machu Picchu: Rediscovering the Lost City One Step at a Time. Meet the authors and other book lovers and get free or greatly discounted signed copies of these wonderful reads.

Submitted by Neil Wyatt

The Readers’ Advisory Research and Trends Forum
Saturday, June 23 10:30-12:00 PM Anaheim Convention Center Rooms 304 A&B
Dedicated to exploring the cutting edge of Research Advisory (RA) practice and thinking collectively about its future, the RA Forum is a platform for discussions centered on contemporary RA issues. This year the forum will present three approaches to the topic “Browsing for Pleasure in the Digital Age.” Panelists will address the intersection of the catalog and the reader, how electronic reading changes reading preferences, and reader-driven and reader-led RA services through social media such as Goodreads. Come join the discussion!

Submitted by Neil Wyatt

Reference Publishing Advisory Committee Program
Monday, June 25, from 1:30-3:30 PM, in the Anaheim Convention Center
The Reference Publishing Advisory Committee will be co-sponsoring a program in Anaheim with the Reference Books Bulletin Board. The program, entitled "Why Can’t an E-book be More Like the Print?" will feature librarians and publishers discussing e-book policies and practices in libraries. Sue Polanka, owner of the "No Shelf Required" blog, will be among the speakers.

RUSA Awards reception
Sunday, June 24, 5:00-6:30pm: Disney Grand Californian Hotel, Sequia South Ballroom D
Among the other prize winners who will be honored, the Zora Neale Hurston Award will be presented to Vanessa Morris. This award, which is sponsored by Harper Perennial, honors librarians who have demonstrated leadership in promoting African American Literature through projects and programs. Morris was selected for her book, The Reader’s Advisory Guide to Street Literature, published by the American Library Association in 2012. Come congratulate Vanessa Morris as well as Louis Shores Award winner, Sarah L. Johnson, Professor of Library Services at Eastern Illinois University and author of the blog Reading the Past.

Submitted by Cynthia Crosser, Past Chair and Vicki Bloom, RUSA Update CODES editor.

Exec Council: Consolidation of Committees
At Midwinter, it was announced that the CODES review was completed and approved. Following RUSA’s goal to consolidate committee duties and eliminate overlap when possible, the Executive Council members talked about merging the Collection Development Education and the Collection Development Planning & Assessment Committees. At Annual the two groups will report at Annual with recommendations for a new name and a new charge. The Materials Reviewing Committee will be sunset as well, since the "Elements for Basic Reviews.." is no longer useful. Given that improving communication remains an issue and priority, the Communications Committee will have a new charge.

Submitted by Vicki Bloom, RUSA Update CODES editor